When rock climbing outside, it’s important to wear appropriate clothing that is comfortable, allows for a full range of motion, and provides protection against the elements and potential scrapes and cuts. Here are some clothing and gear recommendations:
- Climbing shoes: These should fit snugly to provide good support and sensitivity when climbing.
- Climbing harness: This is a safety essential and should fit well and be adjusted properly.
- Clothing: Wear comfortable, flexible clothing that allows for a full range of motion. Many climbers wear athletic clothing such as leggings, shorts, or climbing pants. Avoid loose-fitting clothing that may get in the way or snag on rocks. Consider wearing clothing made of moisture-wicking fabrics that will keep you cool and dry.
- Helmet: Protect your head with a climbing helmet that fits properly.
- Climbing gloves: Consider wearing gloves that provide protection against abrasions and cuts.
- Layers: Depending on the weather conditions, you may need to layer up or down. It’s always a good idea to bring a light jacket or windbreaker in case of unexpected weather changes.
- Accessories: Sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat can provide protection against the sun’s rays.
Remember to check the weather forecast and pack accordingly. It’s better to be overprepared than underprepared when it comes to rock climbing outside.